Search This Blog

Thursday, November 1, 2007

Second Acts

I enjoyed Ellen Goodman's piece on second acts (Boston Globe, October 19, 2007: A17).

I used to be a Professor and a Researcher. Since relocating from Toronto to Cambridge -- I figure there is enough research going on here -- I have reinvented myself as a volunteer and gadfly. A few years ago, one of my friends went partially blind. During his recovery he used taped versions of his academic journals. I therefore record for the blind a couple of mornings a week. I also volunteer a day a week at Common Cause because I have always been impressed with the energy expends to keep politics honest and open -- that's a task that will long be with us.

In my gadfly mode I write op-eds and letters to the editor -- mainly about politics and managerial issues. Now if only I could figure out a way to get more of them published!

I hope that others of my generation will join me in these activities.
Sent to Boston Globe

No comments: